Summers Off?



Most teachers don't have the entire summer "off." If you are a teacher, you understand this and maybe when people imply you do, you get as annoyed as me. Now, I do take some time to be with my daughter and I make sure those times are fun and relaxing! However, in the back of my mind, I'm thinking about all the school related summer projects I have.

For example, right now I'm sitting at a Starbucks getting some work done. I'm blogging, I'm catching up on Twitter, I'm reading blogs and thinking about what I want to change in my classroom next year (feedback!).  Also, I had a 10am meeting with a new team member (welcome, Mike!) on my teaching team. Then, at 1:30pm, I'm meeting with two teachers to plan a summer PD session about using technology in the classroom.

I'm sharing this because I think a lot of other teachers can relate. Even if you aren't having meetings at Starbucks and truly are taking the summer "off," we all know that you can't fully turn the teaching-mind off and you are doing plenty of reflecting and planning for next year-- it might just be poolside. So, to you teachers reading my blog while you are relaxing this summer... have a mojito, it makes my blog that much more interesting! ;)

Comments

  1. You're so right! I've been blogging away, creating things, and updating TpT stuff! Thanks for posting this so everyone knows! :-) (It is nice to sleep past 5:30am though!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle! Hope you are enjoying your summer as you get some work done too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot on! I left teaching about a year ago and the number one thing people asked me was "But won't you miss your summers off?" My initial response was typically a blank stare. I just recently blogged about this very thing: http://www.facsclassroomideas.com/2015/06/dont-you-miss-having-summers-off.html
    Just reading through the teacher blogs I follow about all the things they are trying to accomplish this summer makes me feel overwhelmed - and I don't even have to do them anymore! I hope you get some time for yourself this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise! I did get to go to the pool with my daughter yesterday! For me, it doesn't feel like summer unless I go to a pool. Today, it's back to teacher-stuff as I'm going to a PD this afternoon. It's all about balance, right?! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Day: I Heart Math

Block Schedule Planning

Why I Don't Use Keywords (or CUBES)